Looking for the best music festivals in Australia? Look no further. I’ve compiled the ultimate bucket list of music festivals in the land down under.
Whether you’re living in Australia, backpacking around, studying abroad, or on a working holiday visa — definitely check out this list of the best parties to attend. From the massive raves, boutique camping festivals, and epic bush doofs — Australia has all the festival junkies covered.
1. SPLENDOUR IN THE GRASS
- When: End of July
- Where: North Byron Parklands
- Why: Easily one of the biggest festivals in Australia, Splendour In The Grass is in a beautiful location, and always brings a top-notch line-up covering a wide variety of genres. This will be a festival experience you’ll never forget.
- When: End Of November / Beginning of December
- Where: Sydney, Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne
- Why: Australia’s largest electronic music festival definitely needs to be on your festival bucket list. Every year they bring the biggest acts in the industry, build impressive stages, and create an incredible atmosphere.
3. FIELD DAY
- When: January 1 (New Years Day)
- Where: Sydney
- Why: Set on the first day of the year at its beautiful iconic Sydney venue, The Domain. Field Day is the smart way to celebrate New Years and is also our city’s most popular boutique music festival. It’s known for a super-friendly atmosphere and quality line-ups mixing hip-hop, house, indie and electronic artists from around the world.
- When: Beginning of November
- Where: Sydney
- Why: The one party a year with the view people travel 20,000km to see, Harbourlife brings quality house music to the best-located dance floor in the country. Tickets can be hard to come by, so act fast and secure them before they sell out!
5. LOST PARADISE
- When: Over New Years Eve
- Where: Glenworth Valley, New South Wales (75 minutes outside Sydney)
- Why: A 3 day festival of camping, music, food, art, and yoga, lovingly wrapped in a community. The top-notch line-up, amazing venue, and one of the best new years eve music festivals in Australia!
6. STRAWBERRY FIELDS
- When: Mid / End of November
- Where: Australian Bush, 2-3 hours outside Melbourne
- Why: Strawberry Fields is an annual celebration of art, sound and creative expression held for three days each November, a few hours outside of Melbourne, Australia. Each year we bring you a diverse selection of both renowned and breakthrough electronic music from both Australia and overseas. Indulge yourself in a sensory feast, including soul-shaking sound, world-class decor, dozens of eclectic market stalls, artistic installations, live performance art, workshops, forum discussion and more.
- When: Beginning of December
- Where: Riverwood Downs, New South Wales
- Why: Subsonic is a solid weekend of exceptional electronic, roots and soulful music in the gorgeous surrounds of Riverwood Downs Mountain Valley Resort – a therapeutic three-hour drive from Sydney. Nothing but the best minimal, house, and techno. From what I’ve heard, this is a party that should not be missed!